Robyn's Cape Bird Chat Photo Blog

Feel free to jump over to my own blog for more on Franschhoek birding.

28 August 2010

Ringing at Paarl Bird Sanctuary today

Quite a good days ringing this morning, despite the fact that it is very cloudy, cold and with light drizzle every now and then.  The Southern Red Bishops are busy changing into the breeding gear, some more than others.

There were plenty of warblers, Little Rush, Lesser Swamp and the migrant African Reed Warblers are back!
After the ringing, I took the opportunity to drive around the sanctuary to see what else was there.... and there was lots.  A lovely big pelican, sitting all by itself to start with.
And a White-throated Swallow was waiting for me when I came out of the hide.
At the Kingfisher dam, I found a lone Purple Swamphen, I haven't seen one for a while.
There were plenty of gulls, hartlaubs and grey-headed.  This guys looks very handsome.
And there were flocks and flocks of Cape Canaries, all over the place.
On one of the back pans, I found a whole group of Greater Flamingos... so beautiful.
Chicks and young birds are everywhere.  The white flamingos above are juveniles and I came across an African Black Duck with a clutch of babies...
and then I came across Mrs Blacksmith Lapwing who tried her best to hide her 2 fluffy balls.  I struggled to  get my camera to focus on them as they are so well camaflaged.
On the way out of the sanctuary, I almost drove straight past about 20 male Pin-Tailed Whydahs and about 20 females.  They were deep in the grass, feeding with Cape Canaries and Swee Waxbill.  I have never seen so many males together.  Some of them were immatures just coming into their male breeding plumage.



All in all a great days birding... even with the security risk, it is still a wonderful place to go birding.

No comments: